the daniel johnson piano studio
Technique. Artistry. Excellence.
The Piano Studio is owned and operated by Australian Pianist and Pedagogue, Daniel Johnson. The studio is located in the vibrant, growing area of Springfield Lakes, Queensland, Australia.
The Studio offers specialised training in the following areas:
- Beginner to Advanced Piano Instruction, specialising in advanced grades 5 - LMUSA +
- Beginner to Advanced Music Theory
- Piano for Leisure, Collaborative and Classical Piano Syllabi (AMEB)
- Competition coaching (Eisteddfod's, National and International Piano Competitions and Awards)
- Audition preparation (Competitions, Tertiary Admission, School Scholarships)
- Professional Accompanist (All levels, including AMUSA & LMUSA, and Tertiary/Post Tertiary accompanying)
- Rural, Skype and digital multimodal teaching/distance education
- Highly qualified in the four major examining bodies within Australia (AMEB, ABRSM, Trinity/Guildhall, ANZCA)
Guidelines for Admission and Studio Rules:
1. Operational hours of the piano studio are 2:30pm-6:30pm Monday to Friday
2. There will be no weekend lessons offered
3. All students are required to own an accoustic piano, weighted keyboard, or digital piano. No students will be accepted without an instrument
4. All students are encouraged to sit for national performance and theory exams. However, this is not essential.
5. The studio does not accept students under 9 years of age
6. Rates for lessons are:
- Grades Preliminary - Grade 4: Half-Hour Lesson Only at $35
- Grades 5 and Above: Hour Lesson Only at $70 (All students at Grade 5 and above MUST sit for hour lessons due to repertoire workload, technique, and theory requirements)
- Discounts are given per extra student from the same family
- Payments can be made in cash or by direct deposit
- All lessons must be paid for at the TIME of the lesson, this includes direct deposit. Lessons will be immediately discontinued until money is received. There are no exceptions.
- Tax invoices available upon request
7. Parents are an integral part of music learning. They are strongly encouraged to stay for lessons when possible.
8. Food and drink are allowed in the studio. A rubbish bin is provided for use.
9. Toilet facilities will not be available to students/families so please ensure that this occurs before attending lessons
10. A maximum of two absences per school term are permitted. More than two will risk exclusion from the studio.
11. Communication with parents is always at the forefront of the studio practice. Parents will be contacted if there are any concerns regarding marks, practice, work, or behaviour.
12. All students will be given a welcome pack which contains an exercise/manuscript book, a pencil, and documentation regarding studio rules and booklists
13. Students are required to purchase the following books depending on grades:
Preliminary to Grade 4 - Lesson Book (Piano adventures or John Thompson) and Hanon - The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
Grade 5 + - Dohnanyi - Essential Exercises
Grade 8+ - Brahms - 51 Exercises
These books can be ordered from:
(please note, this is an American website; it may take longer to receive goods)
(Ebay is a fantastic resource for buying new music)
Please note: the studio does not purchase music or resources for students.
14. Students are to have mobile phones on silent and put away while lessons are taking place
15. Each year concludes with a Studio Recital where students have the opportunity to receive awards, play solos, duets and trios, and celebrate the christmas period with family and friends. All are welcome!
16. All students are required to be on time, as are parents when collecting them. If a reschedule needs to be arranged, please know that these are possible - but not guaranteed.
17. Students are required to be well behaved and respectful of property while in the studio